The right question Methodology 2: Questions in users groups
Maybe you see a situation like this in your user group:
POST: Fellas, I have a problem, How can I ask pass the value of a session variable from traditional ASP to ASP.NET? I have an ASP.NET module inside an ASP applications and want to do this... please help!!!
If you saw this situation you may be able to guess what could be the tipical answers...
1. From Quicker posters (the ones who answer quick because they think while you answer most you win more... winning what? I dont know)
- You can't
- You can't now, maybe in a future beta
- Look in google for a workaround
2. From Busy people (People who wants to help but didnt have enough time)
- You need to do a workaround, send me an email and I will send you some links
- Look in here http://www.infoinfoinfo.com/article4567.aspx
3. From people thinking... I am not sure this guy is making the right question for his case
- Actually you can't but what you REALLY want to do?
after this, the guy probably answer to the third person saying exactly the same as the previous question with a little extra information:
POST: I have a session variable and want to pass that value to a page in my asp.net module inside the same application.
These are tipical "I need help" posts in users groups... where people don't tell you the problem, just want you to help HIS IDEA of a solution works... OK, you are not obligated to think by him and if he is doing wrong questions that is not your problem, but if you have time, you can help him trying to get the Right question... but first, the problem. So you tell him: PLEASE, EXPLAIN ME THE SITUATION
POST: I have an Intranet . Most of the intranet are ASP pages, but we have a new module with ASP.NET and dont want to ask people for autentication when people gets that module...
Now you can see the real problem, and you can think a lot of possible solutions in a wide range including changing the authentication method of the intranet (if it is forms) or asking the principal from ASP.NET (if it was windows) or any other ideas for the specific case... The fact is that many people answer questions without thinking about relevancy... and is logic because the problem is the person asking wrong questions... but with a little of pacience and time we can make the difference...
If you post to a user group, you can ask people to help your TECHNICAL SOLUTION works, but you can ask people about other ways to solve your problem... you will be amazed with the answers you can get.
And you can use this for real life, noy only users groups or technical matters, you can find yourself making wrong questions and getting useless answers all the time because of that.
Give me some examples!!!